Friday, October 01, 2004

UPDATE: ERUPTION PHOTO

Here's a still-shot of Mount St. Helens from the USFS VolcanoCam I've linked to the left. It was off for a while, but back on now.. for a while.



To clarify, Mount St. Helens is apparently blowing off steam according to this article in the Seattle P.I.

I suppose this proves that volcanos release tension with methods other than those recommended by Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia as reported by The Guardian UK newspaper.
Warning: Link NSFW, apparently unless you work for the Supreme Court.

UPDATE: MOUNT ST. HELENS ERUPTS

You wouldn't know it from my live WebCam link because traffic to the original USFS site is so heavy, but Mount St. Helens indeed has erupted. I'd guess that the eruption is a "medium" one given the fact that a sizeable plume of ash extended a few thousand feet straight up (by my estimate) and then drifted west and then south.

The four of us here in the office headed up to the roof of the building and got a pretty decent view of the volcano, though visibility is marred by haziness despite a beautiful, sunny day. No loud explosions or anything else to report. Local traffic helicopters were taking off and flying towards the crater when we arrived to the top of our 12-story building.

I don't think air traffic will be too affected, though commuter flights between Seattle and Portland are the most likely affected. Winds are pretty calm, though if they pick up, Portland International Airport is right along the south bank of the Columbia River and could get a faint dusting.

As soon as I get a good webcam photo, if possible, I'll perma-post it and update with more info.

No comments: